Today I have another delicious, no-bake dessert for you that may be the easiest nice dessert known to man. What is this wonderful thing? Strawberry shortcake. Sure, there are complicated versions out there that involve baking, but I’m not talking about those. This week we’re making the strawberry shortcake I grew up eating as a kid, made with Sara Lee pound cake, Cool Whip, and mashed up strawberries. I remember being excited whenever we had this when I was a kid because it seemed so fancy and I sometimes convinced my mom to let me have a double decker. Imagine my surprise when she let me in on the secret that this dessert took her about 5 minutes to put together. I love trying new things and impressing my friends with lavish desserts, but I think it’s important to remember that a nice dessert doesn’t have to be complicated or take hours to prepare.
Here are a few of the reasons that I love this dessert:
- It takes about 5 minutes to make
- The oven doesn’t come on and heat up your house
- There are very few dishes, which means easy clean-up
- The pound cake and Cool Whip are frozen, so two of the ingredients last a really long time. You can keep them on hand and pull them out any time you need a dessert. You can make this as simple or complicated as you want. Feel like making your own whipped cream? Go for it!
- You can change it up if the traditional version isn’t your cup of tea. How about blueberry shortcake or chocolate pound cake?
In case you need a reminder of how to make this lovely dessert (or if you’ve never tried it before), here’s what you need:
- Pound cake
- Cool whip
To get started, defrost the pound cake and Cool Whip on your counter. While the pound cake and Cool Whip are defrosting, wash and dry the strawberries.
Once the strawberries are dry, cut off the tops and slice them into chunks. Don’t worry about making the pieces all one size since they’ll be mashed up within a couple minutes. I actually like to do various sizes so some are completely mashed and others are still somewhat intact. Use a pastry blender or a fork to mash up the strawberries until they’re a consistency you like.
Once that’s done, put a slice of pound cake on a plate, spoon some strawberries over it, and add a dollop of Cool Whip.
Voila! You are ready for dessert. Enjoy!
Join the fun!
Subscribe to get our latest content by email.