Full disclosure- I originally joined Nakedwines.com in 2015 as the result of a promotional card in something I ordered. They offered me $100 worth of free wine- what was I supposed to do? After my first case of wine, I was impressed enough to become an Angel, the group of wine lovers responsible for financing the winemakers who sell their wines through Nakedwines.com. After a few months, I left the program, not because of anything they did, just because I was trying to save money. I thought about them off and on for a while, and finally rejoined as an Angel a few months ago. Now that I’m back, I want to share my experiences with you. Obviously, I love the wine and the organization or I would not have rejoined. So sit back and let me share their story with you and you can decide if you think it’s a good fit for you.
Please note: Jennifer is an Angel with Nakedwines.com on a personal level because she really enjoys the wine and supporting independent winemakers. The Sugar Vine is also an affiliate, which means we may receive a commission if you click on a link in this article and make a purchase.
What it is/how it works
So what exactly is Nakedwines.com and why is it so special? Nakedwines.com has been around since 2008 and has funded over 159 winemakers in 14 countries. There is truly a wine for everyone, whether you like sweet or dry, red or white, or even sparkling. It’s a customer-funded wine business- Angels invest $40 per month into their account. Nakedwines.com uses those deposits to fund independent winemakers. Once the wine is made, Angels receive up to 60% off retail on their wine purchases. Every penny you invest can be used to purchase wine for your personal consumption. There’s no risk to the investment, just good wine and the knowledge you helped a winemaker follow their dreams.
They’re able to offer extremely good prices for the quality of the wine because of how the business is structured. First, there’s no middleman. You’re not paying to have the wine shipped to a store, stocked, and for the salespeople at the store. Second, the materials are bought in bulk by Nakedwines.com. If each winemaker purchased their own bottles, corks, labels, etc., it would significantly increase the cost of each bottle.
A couple things to keep in mind:
- Wine will not be sent to you unless you order it. It’s not like a wine club that picks wine for you and sends it whether you want it or not. You pick the wine and you decide when you receive it.
- The funds you deposit in your account monthly are yours to use when you want. The orders you place will be deducted from your balance. If there’s not enough there, you just pay the difference.
Oh, and did I mention that you receive a free bottle every month you place an order? Yep, it’s one of the perks. You can either take the bottle Nakedwines.com picks or you can switch it out for another. And you don’t have to try to remember to claim it, or mess around with redemption codes, or anything like that. The wine magically appears in your basket every month so it’s ready to go when you’re ready to order.
Community Comes First
One thing Nakedwines.com really focuses on is creating a community. From your account, you can join groups for new Angels, discuss wine and food pairings, talk to the winemakers, and more. There are groups for photographers, for vegetarians, and for people from different locales. Your account also gives you the opportunity to follow other Angels who have similar tastes. You can interact or you can just get ideas for wines to try based on your preferences.
The winemakers are very responsive to the Angels and are happy to answer questions about their wines and interact with you. You can follow them as they post about their vineyards and wine production. They also encourage feedback on their wines so they can get to know you and your likes better.
Nakedwines.com also gives you the opportunity to vote on new wines to fund. This really makes you a part of the process and gives you a voice in the direction of the company.
Angels range in experience from experts to newbies, and there’s a place for everyone. If you’re newer to wine, you can ask questions and get help picking wines to try, whether you order bottles individually or order a preselected case. If you’re an expert, you can share your knowledge with others and discuss the wines with others at your level of expertise.
A Lot to Love
Nakedwines.com really pulls out all the stops to help you feel welcome, wanted, and heard. Here are a few more reasons I love Nakedwines.com:
- They have a satisfaction guarantee and will refund anything with which you’re unhappy. The first time I joined, I had one bottle that I think had something go wrong with it because it was horrid! It didn’t taste anything like wine ever should. I emailed Nakedwines.com and they immediately credited my account for the bottle. No questions, no hassle, just an account credit. That is excellent customer service and makes me very comfortable trying wines from them.
- You can rate your wines so the winemakers know if they hit the mark, and so Nakedwines.com can make suggestions for you based on your preferences. If you consistently dislike Chardonnays from warm regions, they’ll learn that and suggest a cool climate Chardonnay, a Chenin Blanc, or another varietal.
- Oh, and did I mention the wine is really good?