Y?all, I think I have a new favorite dessert. I have some really great favorites- Blue Bell triple chocolate ice cream, cookie butter, vanilla frosting (yes, by itself), Treebeard?s chocolate cake, apple pie?but now I have to add salted caramel apple delight bars to the list. These babies are chewy, crunchy, sweet, savory, and ooey gooey delicious. Picture this: start with a crunchy vanilla shortbread crust, then add a layer of cinnamon and brown sugar coated apples. Last, top it with a crunchy brown sugar and oatmeal topping. It?s okay if you?re drooling; I am, too. And the beauty is, these aren?t hard to make! It?s the best of all worlds.
So let?s get rolling on these: First, you make the shortbread crust. To do this, melt a stick of butter in the microwave in a medium bowl. Then, add 1 cup of flour, half a cup of powdered sugar, a teaspoon of salt, and a teaspoon of vanilla. Stir these together with a spoon until fully combined. Press the mixture into an 8×8 square pan and refrigerate it for 30 minutes.
Next, preheat the oven to 350 degrees and bake the crust for 15 minutes, or until it?s a light golden brown and firm. While the shortbread cooks wash, dry, peel, and dice the apples. Toss them in a medium bowl with a tablespoon of cinnamon, a quarter cup of brown sugar, and a tablespoon of flour. The flour is necessary to help absorb some of the juice from the apples while they cook. You don?t want soggy bars, so don?t skip the flour.
Make the topping by melting a stick of butter in a medium bowl. Add the flour, oats, sugar, brown sugar, cinnamon, and salt. Stir everything together until combined. Once the shortbread is firm and light brown, spread the apple mixture evenly over the warm crust and sprinkle the oatmeal topping on top.
Bake the bars at 375 degrees for 20-25 minutes. The topping should be a nice, golden brown. Cool for a few minutes, then enjoy!
Salted Caramel Apple Delight Bars
- 1 c flour
- ? c powdered sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- ? c butter (melted)
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 3 medium apples (peeled and diced)
- 1 tbs cinnamon
- ? c brown sugar
- 1 tbs flour
- 1 c flour
- ? c old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1/3 c sugar
- 1/3 c brown sugar
- 1 tbs cinnamon
- ? tsp salt
- 1 stick butter (melted)
- 2 tbsp Salted caramel ice cream topping
- Combine melted butter, flour, powdered sugar, salt, and vanilla in a medium bowl
- Mix everything together by hand
- Press mixture into pan
- Refrigerate for 30 minutes
- Bake at 350 for 15 minutes or until light, golden brown
- Dice apples
- Combine apples in a medium bowl with dry ingredients
- Stir apples and dry ingredients together until apples are fully coated
- n a medium bowl, combine melted butter with flour, oats, sugar, brown sugar, cinnamon, and salt
- Stir all ingredients together until fully combined
- Once the shortbread crust is light golden brown and firm, pour the apple mixture over the crust and spread the oatmeal topping evenly over the apples.
- Bake at 375 for 25 minutes or until the topping is brown and crunchy and a fork easily pierces apple
- Cool for at least 5 minutes
- Drizzle salted caramel on top, then enjoy