Let me guess- you’ve been watching A LOT of TV and movies lately, am I right??? If so, you’re probably running out of things to watch. Luckily for you, there’s a whole slew of wine movies out there for you to enjoy. Whether you want heartwarming fiction, heart pounding suspense, or a fascinating documentary, there’s something for every wine lover.
- A Walk in the Clouds– Set in post-World War II California, this romance tells the story of a recently returned soldier who pretends to be a pregnant woman’s husband so her family won’t disown her. They fall in love amidst the harvest season in her family’s vineyard.
- Autumn in the Vineyard/Summer in the Vineyard– Hallmark takes their classic storyline to the vineyard and follows a couple on their journey to love and wine. Like most Hallmark movies, these are easy to watch romances.
- Boom Varietal– This documentary explores why the popularity of Malbec has skyrocketed in the U.S. in the last 10 years and the future of the varietal. While there is a heavy dose of economics, the story is told in a way that is digestible for those of us whose specialty isn’t finance.
- Bottle Shock– Based on the 1976 Judgment of Paris that set the wine world on its head, this comedy-drama takes liberties with history but does inspire you to learn more about the competition that put Napa Valley in the international spotlight.
- Decanted– If you love Napa wine, this documentary is for you. It tells the tale of a new winery starting out in this small region and explores what it takes to make it in Napa.
- Somm, Somm: Into the Bottle, Somm 3– This series of films is riveting from the start as you go deep into the world of wine- from following master sommelier candidates, to exploring how wines are made, to seeing how competitions and critics affect the wine you drink.
- Sour Grapes– Even the wine world has a seedy underbelly, brought to light in this crime documentary about a multimillion scheme to sell fake wine.
- Uncorked– Funny moments give welcome relief to a poignant and heartwarming story of a man’s quest to become a master sommelier. It’s a beautiful and sometimes tear-jerking tale of following your passion.
- Wine Country– Some of the best female comedians of today on a trip to wine country- you’re going to laugh hysterically for about 2 hours.
- You Will Be My Son– If you prefer your movies more serious, thought-provoking, and even a little dark, this one’s for you. It touches on family dynamics, generational divides, and of course, wine making.
Okay, we cheated a little by throwing in some sequels and counting them as one, but you’ll forgive us, right? Now go, settle in for your wine movie binge fest with your favorite wine and some popcorn!